Layering your skincare 101
February 12th, 2021
With a wealth of skincare products available, it can sometimes seem overwhelming knowing which ones to use first. But if you want to get the most out of your skincare routine, knowing how to layer your products is a must. It’s easier than it sounds, and we have broken it down for you in four easy steps with your favourite Living Nature products in mind.
Step 1: Cleansers and Toners
Cleansing is the first step in your skincare layering routine. In the morning, use a gentle cleanser to wake up your skin and remove any traces of dirt or product residue (although it may suit you to skip this step entirely – if that’s you, just use a splash of water and then skip to your toner). In the evening, it’s important to thoroughly remove any traces of makeup and dirt, so we recommend double cleansing. Use our Gentle Makeup Remover as your first cleanser, and then follow with your standard Living Nature cleanser appropriate to your skin type (find our range here). This ensures you break down the dirt and makeup in the first step, and then wash away any residue remaining in the second.
Next, apply your toning gel, an essential step in helping to lock in hydration. The cooling, soothing gel glides onto skin and absorb rapidly, prepping your skin for the next steps. It is important to allow your toning gel to absorb into the skin for about 30 seconds prior to moving onto the next step.
Step 2: Serums
The middle part of your skincare routine, serums should be layered from thinnest to thickest if you are using more than one (keep this in mind as a general rule for all of your skincare products). These intensely potent formulas contain a wealth of nutrients, and are the perfect way to boost your skins nutrition. With three premiums serums available at Living Nature, here’s a quick run-down on what each one targets, so you can decide what suits your own specific skin concerns best.
- Firming Flax Serum: this Living Nature classic is designed to target fine lines and wrinkles. Harakeke Flax Gel, Rosehip Oil and Manuka Honey rejuvenate and nourish, promoting smoother, plumper, and more youthful looking skin. Use: AM & PM
- Active Brightening Serum: to even out skin tone and minimise the appearance of pigmentation. Perfect for skin concerns such as acne scarring and sun damage, our number 1 bestselling ‘all-rounder’ can be used morning and night. Use: AM & PM
- Advanced Renewal Night Serum: formulated to energize and renew skin cells while you sleep, this serum is designed to target dull, tired looking skin; the unique formula works to energize the skin cells and promote a healthy skin function for a radiant glow. Use: PM
Step 3: Oils
After applying your serum, the next step is oils. Deliciously luxurious, facial oils are a great way to give your skin extra nourishment. Sometimes just a moisturiser isn’t enough and your skin will crave the additional emollient boost, especially in dry or very cold climates which can be harsh on your complexion. We offer two beautiful oils at Living Nature:
- Ultimate Day Oil: lightweight yet nutrient rich, this blend of botanicals provides essential nutrients for when your skin needs a boost. Use: AM
- Radiance Night Oil: is a perfect blend of Rosehip, Rose, Calendula and other beneficial oils specifically formulated to assist with the skin’s natural regeneration process of renewal and deep nourishment for a glowing healthy skin. Use: PM
To apply, place 2 drops of facial oil onto the finger tips (gently spread the oil over all the finger tips) and ‘push’ the oil into the skin until evenly spread. Allow it to be absorbed before your next skincare step. Now is also the perfect time to apply an eye cream, if using one. Our Firming Eye Cream is ultra-gentle and lightweight, formulated to minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the delicate eye area. To use, gently pat the cream around the eye area using your ring finger (avoid rubbing, or applying close to eyelashes).
Step 4: Moisturiser
Never skip your moisturiser – think of it as the final step that holds your entire skincare routine together. We have a range of day and night moisturisers to suit every skin type from acne prone to dry or sensitive. Why is moisturiser important? It’s vital for protecting and nourishing your skins barrier, and infuses your skin with moisture. Moisturiser also locks in the hydration and holds the other products you have applied in place, helping them to work effectively.
This simple layering technique will ensure your skincare products are put to the best use, providing your skin with daily hydration and nutrients for optimum health. For more information and assistance in finding the perfect products for your skin type, our dedicated Customer Solutions team would love to help – send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Xx
PS: Don’t stress about skipping some of the steps – you don’t have to use every product in this list all the time. Just remember – never skip cleansing, toning and moisturising!